Saturday, August 5, 2017

Review: Seeds of Hatred

34874784 Seeds of Hatred by Christian Nadeau
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

As a former assassin, a man on the run for years, Marac survived taking on odd jobs, living on society’s fringe, never putting down roots for fear of having to run again. Until he’s hired to steal a trinket from the Brotherhood.

Newly graduated, Soren is ready to shoulder the responsibilities that come with an officer’s commission. Serving in the Brotherhood of Khan is a privilege, one he abandoned everything for. But when an Angel calls on him, he knows his first assignment is more than it seems to be.

As a Lightbearer, gifted with the power to shape light to her will, Alex lived a sheltered life in Tyranor’s monastery. Should the Brotherhood find out what she was, they’d kill her, but the monastery is underground, safely hidden from their prying eyes.

Then it all comes crashing down. A terrible game is played, and when the powerful move, pawns are doomed to be sacrificed.

Are they?




*I received a copy from the author for my honest, unbiased review*

Wow! Loved it! I'm so glad Nadeau asked me to review this, because I probably would have never found it, but it has been one of my favorite reads this year! It reminded me a bit of the books I read last year Ragnarok Publishing, dark, gritty, violent, yet oh so good! I love dark fantasy, but only if it's done right! This one it not only well done, but had potential for even more in the coming books, I can't wait to see where this series goes!

The characters are strong, capable, well written, and completely flawed in the best ways! I really enjoyed all the characters, but of course I loved seeing the story from the MCs views. Soren and Alex both have mounting challenges facing them, and I enjoyed seeing how they handled, not only the challenges, but how they responded to the other characters as well.

I love when the writing style draws me in from the first page, and this was definitely one of those! Well written, while it's longer than I often read lately, it reads easy, and with back-to-back action, most of it went by quickly! The descriptions and amount of detail were well done, and the characters and dialog, and emotions were well portrayed.

Last, but not least, I really love this cover! While it's not as colorful as some fantasies I've seen, it's super detailed, and fits the mood and setting of the story.

Overall I thoroughly enjoyed this one, and an interested to see where things go from here. I am amazed at the quality of this, as I believe it's Nadeau's debut novel, so I'm excited to see what else he comes up with as well! I definitely recommend this if you enjoy a dark fantasy, or even if you think it's something you might enjoy.


No comments:

Post a Comment